Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Unsalted Butter

So, I was flipping through my Betty Crocker cookbook when I noticed a lot of baked sweets require unsalted butter. I didn't know why so I went online!! Apparently, regular butter has salt in it. You can use it for baking, but if it calls for salt in the recipe then you run into the issue of it being too salty. You might be thinking, "Well, I just won't but salt in!". This could work. Then again, there is no way of knowing how much salt is in the butter. There is no regulation on how much is in there. So it could end up perfect or it could not be enough.

So! I think I will buy some unsalted butter before I start baking. I also need some powdered sugar. After that I think I will be good in trying something from scratch. I'm thinking either chocolate chip cookies that are chewy or just sugar cookies!

2 comments:

  1. yknow, I pretty much always use regular, salted butter. It doesn't make them bad if thats all you've got lying around.. BUT its true that if you buy some nice sweet cream butter the flavor will be better..
    You can even MAKE your own butter (its ridiculously easy). Just buy a small 1/2 pt of heavy cream and whip the @#($*)@ out of it until it turns into something that looks like curds (or what it looks like when u cream butter/sugar together). Then squeese the 'curds' out and you'll have butter. Add a little sugar for sweet=cream. add a little salt for regular. its fantastic with honey. excellent for making shortbread cookies too..
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually (double-post!) I just bought some unsalted butter yesterday for use in baking. lols. so stop copying me :)

    ReplyDelete