Thursday, October 29, 2009

Measuring Flour



I noticed something while leafing through my Betty Crocker cookbook that I received when Mike and I were married. Apparently, you're supposed to scoop flour out with a spoon and put it in your measuring cup that way. After its overflowing you then level it off with a knife.

I googled "measuring flour" and came upon a website that gave the correct weight for one cup
  • One cup of white flour weighs 120 grams.
  • One cup of whole wheat flour weighs 140 grams.
  • One cup of bread flour weighs 130 grams.
  • One cup of cake flour weighs 114 grams.
So, if you have a scale you can do it that way! Correct flour measuring is very important. Too much flour and your end product will be tough and dry. Too little and it will just fall apart!

1 comment:

  1. I have heard this b4 too, and I guess its probably true. I never have used a scale but some day I will get one and try this lols. It probably helps a lot bc baking is often very precise..

    ReplyDelete